Thursday, July 28, 2005

Your Safety Is Our Number One Concern

Look at the door bar lock below and you will see half of it is missing.
No little ball thingy to hold the bar.

I checked into my hotel late Sunday night dreary, from an evening of travel. When I finally hit my room and closed the door I found half of my hotel bar lock lying on the floor. Being after midnight I figured that maintenance was at home doing one of 2 things that I wasn't, either spending time with their family or better yet sleeping, so there was no need to give them a call.

When I left the room in the morning I left the broken part of the lock lying on the stained and tattered carpet just knowing that housekeeping would trip over it, regain their balance and then alert maintenance to the security breach in my room. When I arrived back at my room that night, the busted portion of my lock was no longer lying in the middle of the floor, it was now lying against the wall, and my lock had still not been repaired. I didn't give it much thought figuring they would replace the next day. No dice, the next 2 evenings when I arrived back at my room I found that my busted lock was still lying against the wall. Guess what happened this evening? I arrived back at my room to find my busted lock was gone (I looks like someone was finally on the ball after 3 days) but the remaining busted part of the lock was still attached to the back of the door.
Now here is the best part, there is a "Safety and Security Procedure" flyer sitting next to the TV. The second item on the flyer addresses "Double locking and chaining your door". They made damn sure the flyer was in my room, but couldn't get around to making sure that there was some way for me to double lock my door.

Should I as the customer be expected to bring this to the hotel managements attention when for 4 days their employee's were in my room cleaning up my un-godly mess? "NO".
Then to make matters worse someone actually removed the broken piece but didn't have enough brains to see that it was repaired. That's an example of someone doing a half-assed job.

My hotel bill alone was over $400.00. There were four of us staying here this week, and we all come to New Jersey twice a year, that's $3200.00 per year, ( I have always been good at math) and we always stay at this hotel, but no longer.

The hotel had enough sense to make sure I had a 5 cent piece of paper offering me safety tips, but didn't have enough sense to spend $10.00 on a new door lock.
So it looks like a $10.00 lock will cost them $3200.00 in lost revenue, maybe they can use that in their next marketing campaign.

No comments: