Sunday, July 03, 2005

In A Former Life


I used to design and build custom furniture in other words I was an upholster. Tacks and hammers, tacks and hammers. I built the first official Frick's World sofa. It lasted many, many years until we introduced 2 kids, 2 cats and a yellow lab to it.
My Grandfather was an upholster, I still have one of his hammers from the 1930's or 40's.
OK, I told you that story in order to tell you this story. "The Wife" has decided that another summer project would be to re-decorate our bedroom. We spend close to 7 hours in this room everyday, unfortunately our eyes are shut during most of this time, so how it looks is not of the greatest importance to me.
This afternoon we were kid-less and decided to go and look for a new dresser. We stopped at one of the big chains. It begins with Rooms ends with Go and has To in the middle. I was amazed at what is being sold as furniture. Patterns that don't line up. Leather sofas that have more seams than a basketball. My favorite are these big ass chairs for the home theaters. They have cup holders molded into the chairs arms, as if reaching for your drink on the nearby table requires entirely to much energy. If you got a 3 foot straw for your drink and a pair of "Adult Depends" you wouldn't have to move your couch potato body at all. Some of the animal print sofas looked as if they had been stolen from Graceland. I hope that picking out the paint colors will be a little less taxing.

No comments: