Thursday, April 06, 2006

How Low Can You Go


On the road one of my favorite place to stop for fuel is the "Flying J" chain of truck stops. Nothing like hanging out with my fellow "Good Buddies" and talking about life on the road. I was heading south from Knoxville this afternoon when my low fuel indicator DINGS. I look down and my dash is begging for my attention "15 Miles To Empty" is flashing. I look up and see a Flying J billboard advertising it's existence, and guess what it's only 15 miles ahead, I'm going for it. 14 miles later I hit the top of the exit ramp and the dash is now advertising "1 Miles To Empty" (it seems to be accurate). Beads of sweat are starting to form across my forehead and I feel as though I'm trapped in the Sienfield episode when Kramer was trying to see how far he can make it on a single tank of gas. Over the crest of the bridge I see my destination the "Flying J", and it's all down hill, once over the bridge. I shut the air-conditioning off (should have done that 14 miles earlier) as I try to crouch aerodynamically over the steering wheel. To the end of this story I can attest that if your are driving a "Chrysler Pacifica" this vehicle will still function even if the dash is flashing "0 Miles To Empty"




No comments: