Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Love Those Dove Girls



I am sure by now everyone has seen or heard about Dove Soap’s new ad campaign, highlighting the “Dove Girls”. They are on every billboard and bus that I seem to pass.
In case you have been under a rock the campaign features more average sized girls (sizes 4-12), clad in underwear (there’s a word I never thought I’d post).
Now Nike is considering starting a campaign featuring a sporty version of average women. Good for you Nike, everyone jumped on your "Livestrong" bracelet idea, go ahead and jump on the Dove wagon. It’s cheaper to hitch a ride than to pay for a new car.

What if this average sized women type campaign starts sweeping the country? Well for one all of the anorexic coke-freaked models will beout of work. These average sized women don’t end every meal hunched over the toilet as if they were driving a porcelain bus while busily ramming a finger down their throat.

All of this body image stuff brings to the surface another one of the many basic differences between men and women.
When a woman looks at the cover of People, Women’s Day etc…. and on the cover is a picture of say Terri Hatcher, women have tendency think “I wish my stomach was flat like hers” or “How come my hips look bigger than hers?” Worse case is they ask us these un-answerable questions, oh the horror.
When men look at the cover of Sports Illustrated and see Michael Vick the only thing we think about is “Man the things I could do with the mad cash he rakes in.” we really don’t care what he looks like, seriously. Now I personally might be envious of his hair but that’s about the extent of it.
I don’t think that the women of today are really naïve enough to believe that this Dove cream is going to reduce or minimize their curves. Maybe seeing these billboards will help with whatever self esteem issues they feel that other women (not men) or society has thrust upon them.
All I know that when I see the billboards I say “Cool, chicks in their underwear”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, you never thought you'd use "clad?"
--Victor