Thursday, December 16, 2004

Every Once In A While

You find a freebie CD in your rent a car
You get up graded to a suite
You get upgraded to first class
Your luggage is the first one on the conveyor belt
And Every Once In A While
You get a rocking hotel room

We stayed in Smithfield VA last night. Not a whole bunch of hotels in the area. We took a shot and made reservation at the Mansion On Main bed and breakfast. I'’ve never stayed at a B&B's while on the road. The main reason is that there aren’'t a whole bunch of frequent stay programs for B&B’s, and being on the road so much the one thing we live for is hotel points and frequent flyer miles. I would rather give you $100.00 than part with any of my membership points. The three of us had the whole house to ourselves.
This house was built in the late 1800’s. Magnificent gardens surround the home. Hardwood floors creak under each step you take. The staircase is at least six feet wide with 4” risers on each step. Our appointment was not until the afternoon, so we had a quick strategy meeting in the parlor. The inn keeper kept us fed with homemade fudge and butterscotch taffy. My bathroom was complete with a claw foot tub surrounded with a brass shower curtain rod. The sink has a hot faucet and a cold faucet; I have yet to figure out how to get warm water. My bed mattress was a good 3 feet off of the floor. I had a beautiful fireplace at the foot of my bed. I slept as if I was at home. I got out of bed around 7:00 to the fresh smells of ham cooking. Breakfast was served at 8:00. We feasted on red grapefruit, eggs & Smithfield ham. We drank fresh orange juice from dainty antique glasses. It was a great way to start the day.
We ate lunch both days at the Smithfield Inn. I had cream of peanut soup at each meal. This had to weigh in at 500 extra calories for each meal. We walked down main street in the evening and dropped into the Ben Franklin variety store. This store was a through back to the late 1960's complete with the fresh cashew tray next to the cash register. I imagine that the lady behind the register had been working there most of her life.
All in all it was one of the best business trips I've ever had.


No comments: