Friday, February 04, 2005

Note To Self

Note To Self: Never back up your system at 3:00 am in the morning.
Last night I was finishing up some work when my laptop decided to "Blue Screen" on me and then perform a memory dump. After I rebooted and my heart returned back into the double digit range I realized that I had not backed up my system ( As I always say "Have a good backup or a good resume") in the last month or so. I started my backup and went to bed and hour or so later I woke up due to my NES, (Nightime Eating Syndrome) and went down stairs to see how my back up was going. My screen displayed one of those helpful MicroSoft dialog boxes that said my USB hard drive did not have enough free space for my back up. No problem I browse to my USB drive and highlight a couple of folders that I thought I could live without, and select "Delete" again I get another helpful MicroSoft dialog boxes saying file to big for Recycle Bin delete permanently, Yeah what ever and I click OK. Then in my half conscious state I think to myself what's on that drive that's to big for the recycle bin, I then look at the screen and see "deleting.............MP3's". Oh dear god! I click "Cancel" but alas too late 3 gigs worth of MP3's gone. I am talking about some of the greatest music of all time, the best of the 80's (Night Ranger, Journey, and of course Christopher Cross), 90's (Chris Whitley, Enya, REM) and 2000's ( Coldplay, GooGoo Dolls) gone gone gone. I guess I know what my project for the weekend is "Time to RIP some CD's.

No comments: