Saturday, January 21, 2006

My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma


I am a big believer in "Karma" especially when it comes to travel and even more focused when it involves airlines/airports. I never miss the chance to help someone lift a bag into the overhead or offer them my paper when I'm done reading it. I guess I figure that all this niceness will come back to me in the form of catching an earlier flight, getting an upgrade or not being subjected to a weather delay as I am trying to get home. Hey, what goes around comes around.......
Yesterday I arrived at the West Palm airport a few hours early in hopes of catching an earlier flight home, no dice, maybe not enough available karma. The upgrade list had over 15 names on it, again maybe not enough available karma. Well we finally board and guess what there is an empty seat between me and the slightly stressed out PBX sales chick. An empty seat next to me, really maybe some of that karma stuff is kicking in, I just knew I had some left.
I raise the arm rest and start letting my body expand so as to take up as much of Delta's precious real estate as I possibly could. All of a sudden in the row in front of me a lady with baby takes up residence. The key word in that last sentance in case you missed was "BABY". An 11 month bundle of someone's joy. Mother and daughter get the diaper bag, purse and backpack stowed and proceed to sit down and buckle in for the flight. Then all of a sudden from left field the stressed out PBX sales chick taps Mom on the shoulder and offers to switch seats with her. I am totally taken back by this offer for a couple of reasons.
  1. Right now we don't have a baby sitting in the same row that we are and we have an empty seat too boot.
  2. Once the stressed out PBX sales chick has her offer accepted she still won't be sitting in the same isle as a baby.
  3. I don't like anyone trying to out karma me, especially when it comes to travel karma. Cause I was getting ready to offer the new Mom my seat so she and her little bundle could have some extra room, well not really..........
Well of course Mom and the baby accepted the stressed out PBX sales chicks offer. And another flight home begins

No comments: